Funding and Research Support

We offer teaching assistantships to first- and second-year students admitted to our PhD program. Beyond the second year, students are usually supported by research assistantships provided by their research advisor. Master’s students are not guaranteed support from the physics department.

All assistantships include:

  • A monthly salary of approximately $2,000/month
  • A tuition waiver up to 16 credits per term

Approximately 95% of the Graduate Employee (GE) health insurance premium is paid by the UO on your behalf. The remaining 5% premium costs just $85.95 per term (for GE only during AY 2021-22, click here to see all rates).

In addition, students who apply to our PhD program (by the deadline) are automatically considered for a number of fellowships and/or awards that support graduate student success.